Residence Life Handbook

This handbook has been developed to provide you with information that will be helpful to you during your stay on-campus at the South Dakota Mines. It is filled with basic beliefs or attitudes that we use to guide us. We encourage you to read it at the beginning of your stay in the residence halls and to keep it bookmarked on the web for reference throughout the year. You are responsible for the information contained in the handbook and are responsible for following all policies and procedures outlined. The handbook is not all-inclusive; policies may change during the course of a year. Updates will be posted to the Residence Life website.

Table of Contents

Our Rights and Responsibilities

Residents have the Responsibility…

  • To keep our door and hall doors locked, and not to prop them open or allow in strangers or guests without a resident escort, and to straighten up common areas after usage;
  • To observe quiet hours, keep our music, television, other electronic equipment and voices at a reasonable volume in the residence hall, and to remind others that we expect the same of them;
  • To let our roommate know of our wishes and preferences for hours of sleep, study, and visitation, and to work through any differences we may have in a peaceful manner, within the guidelines provided by South Dakota Mines;
  • To know and abide by the laws of the State of South Dakota including those pertaining to alcohol and controlled substances. We have the responsibility to follow the rules and regulations as stated by the South Dakota Board of Regents;
  • To support the educational purposes of South Dakota Mines and to sustain a safe and comfortable living community in the hall;
  • To examine our own behavior when confronted by another and work toward resolving conflicts;
  • We also have the responsibility to confront others in a non-aggressive and non-threatening manner;
  • To notify a staff person of our problem in a timely manner and to cooperate with them as they work with us to solve our problem;
  • To read information provided to us by South Dakota Mines and Residence Life staff, especially The Residence Life Handbook (online) and the Student Code of Conduct;

Residents have the Right…

  • To a safe, clean, and well-maintained residence hall space;
  • To a quality learning environment conducive to our academic and social pursuits;
  • To privacy and the proportionate use of our room both in terms of space and time, and the right to be free of unwanted guests in our room;
  • To choose our means of recreation and relaxation;
  • To confront another’s behavior that infringes on our rights;
  • To the assistance of our staff members when we need help with a problem;
  • To make adult choices as a members of the South Dakota Mines Residence Life community.
  • To participate in wing, hall, and building meetings and share responsibility for adhering to and enforcing community policies and guidelines.


Advertising in the Residence Halls
Posters, signs, advertisements, or notices may be posted in public areas of the residence halls ONLY with the approval of the building Area Coordinator or the Directors of Residence Life. Residence Life may post signs related to residence hall activities and campus events.

Alcohol, Marijuana, and Controlled Substances
Residence Life adheres to the South Dakota Board of Regents Use and Misuse of Substances policy found in the South Dakota BOR Code of Conduct which states the following is prohibited: The unauthorized manufacture, sale, possession, use, or consumption of alcohol, marijuana (including cannabis used or possessed for medical purposes), or controlled substances by students...The unauthorized possession of any drug paraphernalia. Please note that being in the presence of alcohol in Palmerton, Connolly, Peterson, and Placer is considered a violation. Containers with the original purpose of containing or holding alcohol are not permitted in Palmerton, Connolly, Peterson, and Placer.

In Residence Life housing, Rocker Square I/II are designated as an upper-division residence hall where alcohol may be possessed and used in a lawful manner by students who are 21 years of age or older in their living quarters once approved by Residence Life. Students under the age of 21 in Rocker Square I/II are subject to the Alcohol, Marijuana, and Controlled Substances policy and may not possess, use, or consume alcohol in Rocker Square I/II. See Alcohol Procedures for complete details.

Assistance and Duty Information
Each residential area has an RA on duty during evenings and weekends to assist residents. Residents may call or visit the RA on duty as needed.  During business hours, (M-F, 7:30AM - 4:30PM) residents can call or visit the Residence Life Office in Surbeck Center for assistance.  Duty signs and duty phone numbers are posted throughout communities. Residents are encouraged to enter RA Duty numbers into their cell phones for easy access to assistance as well as the central office number 605.394.2348 if needing assistance during the business hours.

Automobiles and Motorcycles
Residents who wish to park and operate a vehicle or motorcycle on the campus must abide by the regulations established by the university. All vehicles parked on campus must have a South Dakota Mines permit. Complete policies, procedures, and parking information can be found here.

Common Area Use and Damages
Residents of each floor and wing are jointly responsible for proper use of all common or community-use facilities (e.g. washrooms, shower rooms, lounge furniture, corridors, kitchens, etc.). As all residents are jointly responsible for all common and community facilities, damages made to common areas that cannot be attributed to specific individual(s) will be charged back to the wing, the complex, residence hall or specific areas of the hall.

Courtesy/Quiet Periods 
Residence Life recognizes its role as an extension of the academic environment that exists on campus. Courtesy hours are always in effect.  Residents are expected to promptly comply with the reasonable requests of community members and the directives of Residence Life staff. During quiet hours, noise should not be heard between residence hall rooms, between bedrooms, or between the common areas as reasonably possible within the limits of the facilities.  Quiet hours apply to the grounds, parking areas, and gathering spaces outside of the buildings.  Noise, conversations, or music from these spaces should not be heard by or disrupt residents. Quiet hours are enforced through engagement of its community members and Residence Life staff. 

Quiet hours are defined as 10:00PM MT – 7:00AM MT on the days prior to scheduled class days.  Quiet hours are defined as 12:00AM MT – 10:00AM MT on days prior to scheduled non-class days.  24-hour quiet hours are in effect through the entire final exam period beginning at 10:00PM the class day prior to the scheduled exam period or 12:00PM, noon, on a non-class day and concluding at 7:00AM the day following the last scheduled exam period.

Damage Repairs
Any student identified as being responsible for damage to residence hall or apartment facilities or equipment will be assessed the final cost of repair or replacement.

Fire Safety
Tampering with life safety equipment (smoke detectors, sprinkler heads, fire extinguishers, or heat detectors, etc.) is prohibited. Failure to evacuate any building during an alarm situation will result in disciplinary action.  Prohibited conduct or prohibited items that results in false fire alarms or unsafe conditions will lead to disciplinary action under this provision.

Guests, Hosting, and Continued Presence
A guest is any person not assigned to the specific residence hall room, suite, apartment, or building by Residence Life or Summer Conferencing. Guest may be considered residential (assigned to a different room, suite, apartment, or building) or non-residential (not assigned campus housing).
All guests are required to comply with Community Standards and other applicable policies. The resident(s) is responsible for the behavior of all guests and may be held accountable for their behavior.  Guests are required to promptly provide valid University or government-issued photo identification to South Dakota Mines staff as requested. Guests should in no way become a disruption to the roommate(s) or the community. Roommate(s) have the right to object to current or future visits.  Grievances should be submitted to Residence Life staff for mediation.  Guest access may be restricted, revoked, or modified by Residence Life or Summer Conferencing.

Guests are only permitted during the Spring and Fall semesters while campus housing is considered open to all assigned students. Guests are not permitted when campus housing is considered closed to residents. Examples of times housing is closed include:

  • Semester breaks (Winter and Spring Breaks),
  • Early arrival dates prior to official move-in dates,
  • Late stay dates after the official move-out date,
  • Summer sessions.
Guests must always be escorted by their host. Guests must be escorted in and out of the building, community spaces, and restrooms during their time in the building. Your Grubby Card, Mobile Credentials, and/or University provided keys are never to be given to a guest for any reason.  Guests without an escort will be asked to leave and must request approval to return through Residence Life Senior Staff. Residents may not rent, sublet, or allow guests to pay for housing in their residence hall assignment.  

Overnight guests are allowed only with the approval of all roommate(s). Guests present anytime between the hours of 12:00AM – 7:00AM MT are considered overnight guests. Any overnight non-residential guest age 17 and under must receive permission from Residence Life by completing the additional Underage Guest Permission Form two (2) business days prior to arrival. This can be accessed online here. Rooms are limited to two overnight guests at any time.  The total number of occurrences a resident may host overnight guests is not to exceed three (3) nights over a course of a seven (7) night period.

Residents have the right to privacy and to the fair use of your room, both in terms of space and time, and the right to be free of unwanted guests in their space.  It is the responsibility of the roommate(s) to express these rights and preferences for hours of sleep, study, living, and visitation. Residence Life has created a guideline for this conversation through the Roommate Agreement document.

Institutional Liability
This institution does not carry insurance covering loss or damage to the students’ personal property and does not assume responsibility for such loss or damage. You are encouraged to determine if you have insurance coverage under the provision of a parent’s household insurance plan or take action to secure appropriate insurance coverage of your personal property through renter’s insurance.

Missing Person Procedure
The University follows SDBOR Policy 3:21 for missing students.  All reports of possible missing students should be reported to the Dean of Students or Public Safety. Once reported, the University will promptly attempt to locate the student. If unsuccessful, the University will work with local Public Safety and Rapid City Police Department as necessary. Residential students must list an emergency contact on their housing application.  In cases where law enforcement is notified of a missing student, that emergency contact may be called.

Public and Private Spaces
Residents are not allowed in "Staff Only" locations, including housekeeping closets, facility closets, or any other area meant for staff purposes. For your personal safety and to prevent damage to roofs, access to any roof is prohibited. Spaces are unable to be reserved in the residence halls except for activities and events hosted by Residence Life staff or approved by the Director of Residence Life. Bulletin Boards and designated posting areas for Residence Life staff are considered private spaces.
Student rooms, apartments, staff offices, and en-suite and private bathrooms and showers are considered private spaces on campus. Community spaces including floor hallways, vestibules, stairwells, entryways, study spaces, lounges, kitchens,  laundry rooms, and spaces with access to public facing areas including windows, walls, and doors leading to floor hallways are considered limited public spaces.
Respect for the individual privacy of our residents should always be considered and any recording of another person, without their prior knowledge and permission, is prohibited when the person has a reasonable expectation of privacy which includes recording in any private and community spaces within the residence halls. 

Room Guidelines 
The use of tacks, nails, screws, duct tape, poster putty, or cellophane tape is prohibited for hanging posters, pictures, etc. on any university surface (walls, ceilings, furniture). Nothing shall be attached to the ceiling in any room. Nothing used to mount pictures, posters, etc. shall penetrate the walls. Blue painters tape is the only allowable way to hang items to walls.  Occupants are responsible for removing any tape residue from the walls when the room is vacated. Failure to adequately clean walls or any wall damage will result in damage fines. The painting of walls is not allowed.  Materials found to be in violation of the Student Code of Conduct may not be hung in windows or on exterior room doors.
Rooms may have no more than one microwave. Refrigerators are limited to 6.0 cubic feet or smaller mini-refrigerators. Personal lofting kits are not allowed. Lofting/bunking kits are provided in Palmerton, Connolly, Peterson, and Placer.  If these provided bunking/lofting kits are used, the Residence Life Office recommends students purchase their own guard rail and install if there are concerns about the height of the bed.
Over periods of breaks, residents may be asked to remove all perishable items from their spaces to include unplugging and defrosting refrigerators and chests.

Sporting in the Halls
The use of sports equipment must be confined to areas away from campus buildings and parking lots to avoid damage to rooms, damage to hallways, broken windows, and damage to vehicles.

Solicitation and Business Enterprises
Soliciting or sale of articles or services in the residence halls and apartments is prohibited. Exceptions may only be made by the Director of Residence Life and only to on-campus groups with specific outlined goals. If you encounter outside groups or individuals who are not known to you selling magazines or other goods or services in the residence halls, report it immediately to an RA or AD. Because of the potential interference to the living environment of others, students are not permitted to run businesses, conduct business enterprises, or conduct the business of an independent contractor out of their residence hall rooms.

Student Code of Conduct
All residents must adhere to the South Dakota Board of Regents Code of Conduct found here. All residents are responsible for being familiar with the Code of Conduct. At South Dakota Mines, the Community Standards Office is responsible for the Code of Conduct and all other South Dakota Mines policies students are responsible for.

Tobacco, Smoke, and Vapor
In accordance with federal law, tobacco products including but not limited to: tobacco, cigarettes, e-cigarettes, cigars/pipes, vape cartridges, and hookahs may not be possessed by students under the age of 21.  In addition, South Dakota Mines is a tobacco-free and vapor-free campus. No tobacco products or vapor products may be used on campus regardless of age. Hookahs and hookah use are not allowed in residential housing regardless of age.  The complete University tobacco and vapor policy can be found online here.

Weapons are regulated by the SD BOR Code of Conduct and the South Dakota Mines Weapons Policy. Students may store weapons and firearms their locked vehicle or with Public Safety. At no time may weapons be brought into residential housing or walked around campus.



Alcohol, Marijuana, and Controlled Substances
When alcohol is found in the residence halls or apartments in violation of policy, it will be disposed of immediately.  In cases where the alcohol is in the possession of an individual student, Residence Life staff will supervise the disposal, otherwise staff will dispose of the items.  Any alcohol will be poured down the drain and any empty alcohol containers will be taken to the outside trash receptacles.  Being in the presence of alcohol is a violation of the South Dakota BOR Alcohol, Marijuana, and Controlled Substances policy. Non-residential minors under the age of 18 involved in potential alcohol, marijuana, or other substance policy violations will be referred to Public Safety or the Rapid City Police Department to be escorted off-campus for return to the custody of their legal guardians.

Rocker Square I/II:
 Responsible alcohol use and possession is allowed in apartments approved for alcohol consumption by the Residence Life Office.  For approval, all members of an apartment must meet with their Director/Area Coordinator/Assistant Area Coordinator to review the University's alcohol policy and discuss safe drinking behavior.  Once an apartment is approved, students 21 and over may consume and possess alcohol.  Only one single-serving container of alcohol per of-age person is allowed out in plain sight at a time.  Common source alcohol containers are not allowed, these include but are not limited to kegs, pony kegs, punch bowls, and commercial dispensing systems.  Underage possession, use, or distribution is not allowed.

If marijuana, controlled substances, or other drugs are suspected, Residence Life staff will contact Public Safety or the Rapid City Police Department (RCPD) immediately and will assist the officers in identifying where the marijuana or controlled substances may be located.  If marijuana, controlled substances, or drug paraphernalia are found in the residence halls or apartments, Residence Life staff will immediately turn the evidence over to Public Safety or RCPD.

In all cases, any alcohol, marijuana, controlled substances, or other drugs found potentially violating SD BOR policy in the residence halls or apartments will be documented in an Information Report for review through the student code of conduct process.

Controlled substances prescribed by a licensed health care professional authorized to prescribe such substances are authorized for use, possession, or distribution (a prescription does not include a written certification for use of medical marijuana, pursuant to SDCL34-20G-1(23)).

Housing with South Dakota Mines requires the submission of a Housing Agreement and a $100 application fee.  Housing is not assigned until the application fee is submitted. This agreement, once submitted by a student, requires the student to live in assigned housing for the duration of the academic year in which the application was submitted.  You are encouraged to review the agreement language in your housing agreement.  Do so online here: Housing Agreement.

Application Fee
All housing applications must be accompanied by a $100 application fee which is kept on account until a student receives access to their housing or moves-in.  Upon move-in or granting of housing access, the full application fee is credited to the student account within one (1) month.

Refunds of the housing application fee will only be made as follows: Prior to the assignment email being sent, the $100 application fee is fully refundable upon written request of cancellation of the application/agreement made to the Director of Residence Life. Once a room assignment has been made and emailed, refunds of the fee will only be issued if cancellation request is made prior to July 1 for fall semester and prior to December 15 for spring semester.

Residence Life makes all housing assignments. Assignments are gender specific in double-occupancy rooms and gender inclusive in single-occupancy rooms (with student application).  Preferences expressed when applying for a room are given consideration, but are not guaranteed. Room assignments need not be permanent, and sometimes changes are advisable. Application for a change in room must be made with Residence Life professional staff and must be agreed upon by all students involved. Changes in room assignment may be necessary to accommodate single room requests and consolidation needs. Housing assignments and housing assignment changes are made at the discretion of Residence Life.  Peterson Interest Communities and other specific housing options may require an application into the communities.

Breaks and Move-Out
Individual residents must vacate their housing assignment by 12:00PM noon on the day following completion of their last final examination for a given semester. Additional rental charges apply for late stays approved by Residence Life.

All housing closes for Winter Break. Over Spring Break, Palmerton, Connolly, Peterson, and Placer close. Over these breaks, students may apply to stay for an additional charge, pending approval by Residence Life. Residence Life staff will complete room checks for compliance with posted closing procedures over these breaks. Residents are responsible for following closing procedures as posted. Failure to follow directives may result in disciplinary actions, cleaning charges, and loss of perishable items.

Charges for room and board are to be paid in advance for each semester at the time of registration. All questions regarding these charges are to be presented to the Student Accounts and Cashiering Services Office in Surbeck Center. Non-payment will result in the student no longer being eligible for on-campus housing. Normally, upon notification from Cashiering Services, Residence Life will give a student who has not made payment 24 hours to vacate.

Club and Organization Access to Communities
Officially recognized student organizations and University departments may request access to communities to inform residents of upcoming events.  The following procedures must be followed.

      Submit a written request to the Department of Residence Life via email at at least one business day in advance of requested access. The written request must include the following information.
    • Proposed start date, time, and duration of the request (Requests should not be scheduled during quiet hours).
    • Name(s) of the community host(s) as escort(s). Hosts must be residents of the building for which they will be an escort or be given temporary access through Residence Life prior to the event if a building host is not found.
    • Purpose of the request for access.
Requests may be accepted, declined, modified, or revoked at the discretion of the Director of Residence Life.

Entry, Search and Seizure
Entry, search and seizure by civil officers shall be governed by civil law.  Entry by University personnel shall be allowed for the following:

  • Maintenance requested by the occupant(s) is being performed
  • Maintenance is performed upon institutional initiative preceded by at least twelve (12) hours notice to occupant
  • There is reason to believe there is imminent danger to the safety, health, or property of occupant(s) or to institutional property
  • Verification of occupancy
  • Enforcing safety/health standards
Residence Life staff may also perform an administrative entry/search permit based upon a belief that a University policy or regulation, or a local, state or federal law is being violated. Only those designated by the University President may authorize administrative entry/search permits. Those authorized to conduct a search are the Director of Residence Life, Area Coordinators, and Assistant Area Coordinators. A search permit will be completed upon a search; it will indicate:
  • room(s) to be searched;
  • regulation(s) allegedly being violated;
  • items(s) being sought (if applicable);
  • names of those authorized to enter and conduct the search.

Key and Key Card Replacements
Your Grubby Card / Rocker Card Replacement: $20
Key Replacements: $25 - $50

Lockout Procedures and Assistance
Residents who need assistance or who are locked out of their rooms can contact the RA on Call for assistance.  During business hours (M-F, 8-4:30pm, residents should visit the Residence Life Office in Surbeck Center).  Cost per lockout is $5, charged to the student account. Lockout charges are waived the first two weeks of Fall Semester.

Painting of Rooms
Students may not paint their rooms or any other area of a residence hall/apartment. All rooms and hallways are painted by the University.

Prohibited Items
The following items are prohibited in Residence Life-managed housing:

  • Ammunition and weapons (as identified in SDBOR 1:25) to include any firearm, knife (with a blade of 5 inches or longer), switchblade, sword, nightstick, bow, club, arrow, airsoft/BB gun, paintball gun, stun gun, and any instrument or substance designed or likely to inflict death or serious bodily harm
  • Toasters, hot plates, other items with exposed coils (items can be in kitchens)
  • Halogen lights
  • Candles, incense or any item that is burned (candles with wicks cut-out are allowed)
  • Hookahs
  • Fireworks and explosives
  • Flammable liquids & lab chemicals
  • 3D printers that use resin (SLA models)
  • Use of ABS filament in 3D printers (FFF/FDM models), other filament types are allowed if following manufacturer and safety instructions with room ventilation.
  • Fish in a single tank of 10-gallons or less, per occupant, are allowed. Amphibians, crustaceans, mollusks, reptiles, insects, mammals, or other non-fish animals are prohibited.  
  • Air conditioners (other than those installed or approved by Residence Life)
  • Waterbeds
  • Refrigerators over 6.0 cubic feet
  • More than 1 microwave per room/suite
  • Lofting/bunking kits, except those provided by the University

Room Changes
Room changes are prohibited without prior approval of Central Staff. If you desire a change, you should first contact your RA or AAC for guidance in the process. All changes initiated by residents must be voluntarily agreed by all parties prior to being approved. After, contact Central Staff to fill out a Room Change Request Form. Moving without prior approval by an Area Coordinator or Director of Residence Life may result in disciplinary action being taken including improper check-out fines.

Room Condition Report (RCR)
As you occupy your room, room contents and conditions are to be inspected and described on a Room Condition Report (RCR). You will be held responsible for all furnishing and equipment and are expected to exercise care in their use as you would in your own home.

It is not permissible to move furnishings or other equipment out of any common areas or lounges or individual rooms, or to move these furnishings from one room to another. Residents are expected to report room or equipment damage or need for repair promptly to the Residence Life office. Once you move-in, you will receive an email where you may view your room's condition and submit your comments within 48 hours of moving into your room.

Routine Room Inspections
Room inspections for the purpose of health, safety and maintenance will be held at least once during the semester. The individual RA will inspect rooms on their wing/floor with a minimum of twelve-hour notice of the inspection will be given. Residents do not need to be present during the inspection. The inspection will consist of a reasonable check for health, safety and maintenance problems to ensure that the housing regulations are being followed. The inspections are not searches, and no closets, drawers or refrigerators may be opened without the permission of the occupants.    

Any unsafe or unhealthy findings need to be corrected in an agreed upon time between the student and the RA. Failure to comply with directive to correct an unhealthy or unsafe condition in a resident’s room may result in the student entering the student code of conduct process.

Safety and Security
All Residence Halls are locked 24 hours a day.  Access to exterior doors may not be tampered to reduce security.  It is a shared responsibility of the resident and the community to not allow unknown people into spaces.

Hallway facing doors should be locked any time the residence hall room, suite, or apartment is unoccupied. Blocking or modifying entrance and egress with any item or modification that impedes a door and/or window from opening or closing and locking fully and freely is prohibited and may result in the student entering the student code of conduct process.

Due to the necessity for residents and guests to be able to evacuate their spaces in case of an emergency, doors and windows must be able to be opened completely (at least 90 degrees from the plane of the door) and access to bedrooms must be free of substantial obstacles.

Single Rooms
A premium rate will be charged for all single rooms. Guaranteed single rooms are available only in Connolly Hall. Residents who are paying double room rate, but have not had a roommate assigned or whose roommate has left the room for some reason, will not be permitted to reside as singles. Such residents will be allowed two weeks to do one of the following:

  • Find a new roommate of their choice. If this option is selected and no new roommate is found, the student will be billed the single room rate from the date of the departure of the former roommate.
  • Take out a double as a single room contract for the remainder of the year, provided there is no demand for the space and pay the additional cost associated with that agreement.
  • Remain in your room and accept assignment of a roommate by Residence Life. If such a person is not available, the resident may be reassigned to another half-occupied room in any residence hall.
Students will be charged double as single room rates after a roommate moves out if they do not find another roommate, accept relocation to another room, or refuse an assigned roommate. Double as a Single room rates will be assessed from the date of departure of the former roommate. The higher rate will not be charged if another room or roommate is not available.

When a single room is available and offered to any student and is declined, that student is removed from the prioritized lists for single rooms. If such a student wishes to be added to the list for future consideration, he/she must submit a written request and be placed at the bottom of the prioritized list for single rooms.

Wing/Area/Building Meetings
All residents are required to attend meetings as designated and scheduled by their RA or building staff. RAs will do their best to schedule meetings at times most suitable to the majority of residents.

Windows and Screens
The unauthorized removal of windows and screens may result in conduct charges. Items may not be thrown from windows; entrance or egress from windows is not allowed.

A student withdrawing from school must vacate the residence hall or apartment within 24 hours of his/her withdrawal, unless other arrangements have been made. A student must officially check out of the halls/apartments by removing all personal property from the room/unit, returning the room/unit to move-in condition, and returning keys/having Your Grubby Card updated. Refunds will be issued per University guidelines only to students who have officially checked-out.



The entire Residence Life staff works with and for residents to create an environment conducive to personal growth and academic achievement.

Central Staff
Directors of Residence Life

Directors of Residence Life (DRL) are professional staff who oversee Residence Life. The DRLs have been selected on the basis of educational background, experience in residence life and an interest in and concern for people. The DRLs are responsible for their assigned residence halls through supervision of student staff, administration of the hall and dealing with violations of university policy. Their primary focus, however, is meeting student needs, developing student responsibility and the overall welfare of the hall community. The DRLs are available to help you with personal and group problems, and as they reside in the hall, they often handle emergency situations. DRLs specialize in guiding Residence Life in their designated areas. The two Directors are the: Director of Residential Education and Community Standards, Director of Housing & Operations.

Residence Life Office and Card Services Coordinator
The Residence Life Office and Card Services Coordinator works with the Directors and the University to provide support and access to the Hardrocker community.  The coordinator assists with meal plans, registration, housing contracts, and administrative responsibilities.

Area Coordinator
The Area Coordinator (AC) is a professional staff member. The ACs are responsible for their assigned residence halls through supervision of student staff, administration of the hall and dealing with violations of university policy. Their primary focus, however, is meeting student needs, developing student responsibility and the overall welfare of the hall community. The ACs are available to help you with personal and group problems, and as they reside in the hall, they often handle emergency situations.

Senior Staff
Assistant Area Coordinators 

Each residence hall area has an Assistant Area Coordinator (AAC).  The AAC is a student with at least one year of experience in Residence Life. The AAC are considered the experts of their communities and provides supervisory support and management of their residential area.

Student Staff
Resident Advisors

Resident Advisors (RA) are student staff of South Dakota Mines who live on each wing/floor with their fellow residents and receive special training to assist residents in a variety of ways. RAs main goal is to create a positive, healthy community for students to live, learn, and grow.

Residential Tutors
Residential Tutors (formally known as Residential Peer Mentors) are student staff employed to help students succeed academically.  Residential Tutors hold office hours, tutoring sessions, and academically-focused programs to help students succeed at South Dakota Mines.

Support Staff
Residence Life staff also includes summer crew, maintenance personnel, and custodial staff.


Facilities and Services

Bicycles and Bicycle Registration
Outside racks and covered shelters are conveniently located for bicycle storage around residential living areas. There are no indoor storage facilities for bicycles. Bicycles are not to be parked or stored in rooms, lounges, hallways, stairwells, bathrooms, laundry rooms or kitchens of the residence halls. Bicycles remaining in the area after completion of spring semester may be considered abandoned and donated. You are highly encouraged to register your bicycle online. Upon registration, you will get a registration sticker that needs to be affixed to your bicycle.

If you bring a bike to campus--please use a U-Lock or similar locking device; chain or rope locks are not secure and your bike is more likely to be stolen using these locks. 

Passenger elevators are provided in residence halls to allow ADA access to all floors and as a convenience to all residents. Please report any problems with elevators to your Area Coordinator or by submitting a work-order request.
If you are trapped in an elevator, an emergency phone is located in the car which dials directly to Campus Safety (394-6100). NEVER attempt to open the elevator door if are in trapped in the car. Never use an elevator when there is a fire or when the fire alarm sounds. Please take precautions when moving items in and out of the elevators.
Overloading, excessive movement, including jumping or bouncing while the elevator car is going up or down, may cause the elevator safeties to engage and the car will stop moving. This will result in disciplinary action being taken and/or damage charges being assessed.

Internet and South Dakota Mines Email
South Dakota Mines Email is the main communication source for the University. It is the expectation of the University that students check their email daily.

Each residence hall room has ethernet port access and wireless internet. Usage is subject to South Dakota Mines policies, located here, and the SDBOR Code of Conduct. Gaming and other non-authenticating devices must be registered with ITS.
Rocker Square I and II residents receive internet through a 3rd party vendor; routers are installed in each Rocker Square I apartment.  Rocker Square I has wireless internet only; Rocker Square II has wired internet only, with students required to provide their own router.

Card operated facilities are provided in Connolly, Palmerton, Peterson, and Placer Halls. Grubby Gold must be used with laundry machines in the residence hall laundry rooms. Rocker Square II laundry machines are operated by a laundry card available for purchase from the Rocker Square II lobby.  Rocker Square I laundry is included in housing costs.

All residents are assigned a mailbox with a combination lock. You will have the same mailbox throughout your uninterrupted stay in the residential life housing; all mailboxes are located in Surbeck Center. If you receive a package or a parcel that must be signed for, a notice will be emailed to your South Dakota Mines email account. You may electronically sign for and pick up your package at the main desk in Surbeck Center.

Recycling Program
Containers are available throughout the residence halls for collection of recyclables. You are requested to use these containers for paper, glass, aluminum cans and plastics. Cardboard recycling bins are located either at building entrances or next to building trash bins - be sure to recycle in the appropriate bin.

Repairs and Maintenance Issues
Repair requests and assistance with all maintenance issues should be made online through the Work Order system.

The University does not have facilities to offer for the storage of personal belongings. Hallways, stairwells, lounges and kitchens are not to be used for storage. “Excess” furniture from student rooms must remain in the room.

During Winter and Spring Break, residents may be allowed to store registered bicycles in their rooms.



Residence Life Staff Applications
Information Sessions Begin January 25
Applications Open January 27
Visit the Residential Education Hiring Page

New Student Housing Sign-Up
Application Opens February 13
Visit the New Student Sign-Up Page

Lottery Numbers Emailed
Sent to emails on March 1
For returners required to live on campus

Spring Break - Traditional Halls Close
March 11 - March 19
Details available here

Returning Student Housing Sign Up
March 20 - March 26 varying by group
Returning Student Housing Selection

May Closing
Halls close at noon on May 6
5pm on May 7th for graduating students