Current International Students Resources

The Ivanhoe International Center assists international students at the South Dakota Mines campus, sponsors multicultural events, and works to enrich the cultural experiences available to South Dakota Mines students.  On this page you will find information and resources useful to our current international students. We're here to help, so please contact us if you have questions or need assistance.

Find out more about:

What is your Status and how do you maintain your status?

J-1 Students

More Information

Getting Settled

Taxes for International Students

ALL nonresident aliens, in F or J status, are required to complete Form 8843 with the IRS regardless of whether they receive income. This also includes dependents in F-2 and J-2 status, regardless of age.

  • See Taxes for International Student webpage for more information.
  • Employment for International Students

    Safety and Security

    Rapid City and the surrounding area is a relatively safe place; however, please take precautions.

    Inviting Family to the U.S.

    While at South Dakota Mines, a student or scholar may want to invite a family member to visit. The following provides some suggestions to help family obtain a visa to enter the U.S. Please click here for more information.

    Other Useful Resources and Information

    Contact Us:

    Ivanhoe International Center
    South Dakota Mines
    501 E Saint Joseph Street
    Rapid City, SD  57701-3995
    Phone: 1.605.394.6884
    FAX: 1.605.394.6883
    WhatsApp and Google: 1.605.388.2003

    Virtual Tour CTA

    Experience South Dakota Mines

    The virtual tour captures our unique campus using vibrant imagery, VR360 tours, and video and allows you to enjoy 360° panoramic views of our beautiful campus from the convenience of your own computer or mobile device. >> Explore Now